There are 2 kinds of floods, man made and natural.
- Flash floods
- Heavy rains
- Mud flows
- Burst pipes
- Plumbing problems
- malfunctioning water heater
The average cost to repair your home after water damage flooding in Metro Detroit is around $15,000. That’s over 12 months of groceries for a family of 4 in Metro Detroit.
To minimize water damage in Metro Detroit is to turn off the main water valve, cutting off water to all the plumbing in the home. Open up spigots and faucets so any accumulated water drains down the pipes and not through cracks in the frozen pipes.
Ways to prepare for flooding in Metro Detroit:
- Build an emergency kit and a family communication plan
- Avoid building in floodplain, unless you elevate and reinforce your home
- Consider installing a check valve so the water don’t backup in your drains and into your house
- If feasible, construct barriers and use waterproofing compound in Metro Detroit
- Install flood detection in your home that will alert you of water
- Buy flood insurance
- Check up on your pipes, water heater, and major plumbing to make sure its up to code and working properly